Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Dear Parents of K-4 through 4th Grade.  Here is a description of what your children learned this week in Spanish.

K-4, K-5:  We all learned our new song, Estrellita, in Spanish.  I teach things songs to help students acquire new vocabulary.  For example, in the Spanish  version of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, children learned seven new vocabulary words!  I will send the words home with your child's teacher as soon as possible. We also reviewed parts of the body and colors using bright, high-interest dinosaur pictures.  This activity was a great success!  Children love dinosaurs.   They were asked to find parts of the body to make the face of a whimsical dinosaur.  We completed the lesson by listening to Corduroy  in Spanish.  It was so much fun. 

K-5 The class also make a color sheet to take home. They will be making one for more colors next week. 
1st and 2nd: Children read their books to the entire class since we did not have time to do so last week.  I am so pleased that children can read some sentences in Spanish.  We began to explore more sentence structures expressing likes and dislikes, which is one of the standards for foreign language.  All of the concepts taught are identified as  standards for the teaching of foreign language distributed by The State Department of Education.

3rd Grade:  We counted to 100 in Spanish.  We also completed a list of commands and useful expressions in Spanish. I would like the children to learn the first eight words or phrases for next week.  I sent the list home on Monday with the children.  If it was left in class, it's ok.  Students do need to bring the list back next week.  I discussed allowing children to look over the list in class if time permits.

4th Grade:  I collected students' drawings and sentences about their favorite season.  I will collate them and present them in the form of a book at Open House. Students also received the same list of words third grade was given.  4th grade needs to study the list for a short quiz next week.  I know students may not learn all the terms, but I would like them to try to learn as many as possible.  There are about twenty expressions.  I encourage students to go above and beyond what we complete in class and many of them wish to do so.  For example, some students wanted to write entire sentences with the expressions. I hope they do so!  However, applying the expression in a sentence  is an optional assignment. 

Thank you for your interest in our Spanish program.  I hope to see you at Open House next week.  I am going to have a table set up somewhere in the main buiding, so please look for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment